Thank you for your interest in the Amsterdam Review.
The magazine accepts poetry (including translations), flash fiction, essays, and reviews. We also accept photography and other fine arts — all images in the magazine are original works. Please read our current issue to get an idea of the work we publish.
Please follow the guidelines below based on the type of material you are submitting. Submissions that fail to do so will not be considered for publication.
We want the words and stories that come to you, not those you have to go after.
NOW ACCEPTING SUBMISSIONS
- Send all submissions to AMSTERDAMREV@GMAIL.COM
- Simultaneous submissions are accepted and encouraged. We only ask that you let us know as soon as possible if your work is accepted elsewhere.
- No multiple submissions. Please leave at least six months between each submission.
- If we have published your writing before, please wait a year before submitting again. There is no waiting time for photography.
- Only submit previously unpublished material that is your own work. You must own the copyright to any text or image you send us. If you are submitting translated work, you must have obtained permission to translate from the original author/publisher.
- Please allow up to 90 days for a response. You can contact us if you haven’t heard back from us after this time. We will respond to all submissions.
HOW TO SUBMIT WRITING
- Please submit your written content as a Microsoft Word attachment (.doc or .docx). 12-point Times New Roman is preferred. If submitting several pieces (e.g. poems), include them all in one document.
- Include a cover letter with the following information:
- Name (as you would like printed)
- Email address
- Third-person bio (100 words max)
- Author website and any social media links – optional
- We recommend you also attach an author photo (JPEG or PNG file, 600 x 600 pixels preferred).
- Email subject line should be the genre followed by your name (i.e. Poetry – Robert Johnson).
- Submit up to three poems (maximum of three pages each).
- Start each poem on a new page in your document.
- Title your poems, or specify ‘Untitled’ at the top of the piece.
- Submit one flash fiction piece (maximum 1,000 words).
- Add page numbers to your document.
Nonfiction (reviews and essays)
- Submit one nonfiction piece (maximum 3,000 words).
- Add page numbers to your document.
Photography (and Fine Arts)
- Email photographs as attachments or via G-drive. Share access with email@example.com
- Limit submissions to 15 images at a time.
- We are interested in photographs that center around architecture, nature, landscapes, urban scenes, etc. Abstract photos are also accepted.
- If submitting photos of people it is your responsibility to hold the person/people’s permission to be photographed, as well as their model release. Do not include photographs of anyone under 18 or who has not expressly given their consent to you in written form.
- Downscale large photos to a maximum of 1920px wide before submitting.
- Title your collection.
- We reserve the right to select accepted photos to accompany a piece of writing and/or to use on our website and promotional materials (we will always credit them).
We are unable to offer paid compensation for accepted submissions at present.
If you are successful we will allow for one round of small edits to the work you have submitted; however the finished work must remain close to the material you originally sent.
By submitting your work to Amsterdam Review you agree to receiving our newsletter for issue releases. You can unsubscribe at any time.
The owner of the work retains copyright upon publication. By submitting you agree to grant the Amsterdam Review first serial/electronic rights, as well as electronic archival rights in perpetuity. You also agree that should the work be published subsequently elsewhere (online or in print), credit to Amsterdam Review is to be given.
Please read our full terms and conditions for all submissions.